Skip to content
How Do I


Please Note:  The federal government’s Passport Services office notified us that mail delays are impacting the timely processing of passport applications.  As a reminder, their processing begins the day they receive it, not the date it is mailed from your local Clerk’s Office/Post Office.

With this in mind, the service times currently are as follows:

  • Routine service can take up to 18 weeks (12 weeks of processing and 6 weeks in transit/mail)
  • Expedited service (additional $) can take up to 12 weeks (6 weeks of processing and 6 weeks in transit/mail)

The United States Department of State is the agency with whom we partner to process passport applications.  The expected time frame for this process to be completed and passports returned changes often based on demand, complexity of application, personnel availability and national emergencies. For the latest time frame estimates, always refer to

Citizens planning trips should not delay beginning the passport application process. Your local Clerks are here to help, but cannot control the time frame for return of your passports once submitted to the federal government.

Please Note:  Appointments are required for passport application processing at both office locations (Green Cove Springs and Orange Park). Please call ahead to arrange a date/time with our staff.

A valid Passport Book is required of U.S. citizens departing by air from the United States for any destination outside of North, South or Central America and for entering the United States from outside the United States. A valid Passport Card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, please visit

The Clerk of Court and Comptroller’s office is the local government agency that may accept applications for passports. We provide this service at our main office at the Clay County Courthouse in Green Cove Springs and at our Orange Park Branch. Completed applications are then sent to one of the passport services designated by the Secretary of State. Each application is reviewed, is either issued or denied and returned directly to the applicant by mail.

The Passport Application Process

Please review these helpful documents that outline our passport application process, required items (checklist) and various fees.

Processing Deadlines
In the Green Cove Springs Office, all passport applications must be filed by 3:00 pm in order for the application to be mailed the same day, otherwise it will be mailed the following business day. If filing your application at the Orange Park Branch, all applications must be filed by 11 am for same day mailing. Due to the length of time to process the passport application and accompanying paperwork, each office has a 4:00 pm cut-off time to accept and file an application.

The appropriate application and renewal forms may be obtained at the Clay County Courthouse in Green Cove Springs, our Clerk of Court Orange Park Branch Office, or at most travel agencies. The forms must be signed in the presence of a Deputy Clerk at the time of filing. These forms are also available on the U.S. Department of State’s website,

The U.S. Department of State requires all customers applying for a passport to submit a clear copy of their citizenship evidence in addition to their original or certified copy of U.S. citizenship. If there is writing on both sides of the citizenship evidence, then copies must be made of the front and back of the document. A photocopy is required of primary U.S. citizenship evidence such as a certified birth certificate, naturalization certificate, consular report of birth abroad, and certificate of citizenship. Customers who submit an expired U.S. passport book or passport card as citizenship evidence do not need to submit a photocopy.

If there is no official record of your birth, you will need to contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics or Health Department of your birth state. They will issue a letter to this fact, which will allow other items to be accepted for proof of birth.  If you are a naturalized citizen, the original naturalization certificate must accompany the application for a passport. It will be returned by the passport agency. If you are not a U.S. Citizen, but need a passport, you must contact the nearest consulate for your country.

A Visa is permission granted by a country to an alien to enter that country and remain for a specific period of time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to obtain the necessary Visas, if any, before proceeding abroad. Visas are obtained from the embassy or consulate of the countries to which the applicant wishes to travel. We can assist with information as to what countries require Visas.

If your passport has been lost, stolen or mutilated, you must complete a new application, with new pictures, birth certificate and affidavit of lost or stolen passport. These forms are available at our office. The cost will be the same as applying for a new passport.

Denial of Application
If you are behind in your child support payments in excess of $2,500, you are ineligible to receive a U.S. passport. If this applies to you, Passport Services strongly recommends that you contact the appropriate state’s child support enforcement agency to make payment arrangements before applying for a passport.

Passports and Confidentiality
Information obtained from or in connection with a passport application is privileged under the Privacy Act of 1974 and under Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 51.33, and must not be divulged to any person or organization inquiring about such records. Request for information concerning an applicant’s personal background, address, travel plans, etc. should be referred to: Passport Services Washington, D.C. 20524.

Statistical data concerning passport applications handled by the Clerk’s Office, not including any information about specific applications, may be released, i.e., how many passport applications have been issued within a certain time frame.


Executive Team
Criminal Court Services Open Sub-menu for Criminal Court Services Close Sub-menu for Criminal Court Services
Civil Traffic Services
Finance Open Sub-menu for Finance Close Sub-menu for Finance
Clerk to the Board Open Sub-menu for Clerk to the Board Close Sub-menu for Clerk to the Board
Value Adjustment Board Open Sub-menu for Value Adjustment Board Close Sub-menu for Value Adjustment Board
Communications & Community Outreach Open Sub-menu for Communications & Community Outreach Close Sub-menu for Communications & Community Outreach
Recording Department Open Sub-menu for Recording Department Close Sub-menu for Recording Department