Clay County Officials are making the final preparations for Hurricane Ian. Residents are urged to make their final preparations now. Secure loose items around your home, gather important documents and emergency supplies, and finalize your family’s disaster plan including an evacuation route and a safe location to stay out of the evacuation zone.
Stay up to date on the latest storm information:
- Sign up for emergency alerts at claycountygov.com. This s also the best place to go for local preparedness tips, how to find your evacuation zone, flood zones, disaster kits, shelters, and more.
- Residents can get the most up-to-date information on the Clay County Emergency Management Facebook @ClayCtyEm, Twitter @ClayCounty_EM, and Instagram @ClayCtyEM.
Call Center: Clay County residents can call 877-252-9362 for storm-related questions or report storm-related damage.
The Sheriff’s Office non-emergency reporting line is (904) 264-6512.
Evacuation orders have been issued for Evacuations Zones A, B, C, and the Black Creek North and South Prong Zones. All mobile and manufactured homes or other vulnerable housing are considered Zone A regardless of where they are in the county.
Residents in these Evacuation Zones should seek shelter outside of the evacuation zone. Remember you do not need to travel far to find a safe location outside of an evacuation zone. The updated Clay County Evacuation Zone Map is here:
The Evacuation Zone Helper can identify if your address is located in an evacuation zone http://public.claycountygov.com/evaczone/. If the address is not in an evacuation zone it will be indicated as none.
Evacuation Shelters will be opening on Wednesday, September 28
Special Needs Shelter opens at 8 a.m.
- Lake Asbury Junior High School, 2851 Sandridge Rd. Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
General Population shelters will open at 3 p.m.
- Keystone Heights High School – Pet Friendly, 900 S.W. Orchid Keystone Heights, FL 32656
- Orange Park High School – Pet Friendly, 2300 Kingsley Avenue Orange Park, FL 32073
- Clay High School, 2025 W. State Road 16 Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
- Wilkinson Elementary School – 4965 County Road 218W, Middleburg, FL 32068
Please keep in mind that the only pets allowed are dogs, cats, rodents (such as hamsters and gerbils), rabbits, and birds, and the ADA allows a miniature horse, as long as it provided a service connected to the owner’s disability.
Visit the Clay County website for more information: https://www.claycountygov.com/community/emergency-management/disaster-preparedness/evacuation-shelters
Sandbags: Sandbags will be available on Tuesday, September 27, and Wednesday, September 28, from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on both days. Ten bags per address. You can pick up sandbags at the following locations until supplies run out:
- Omega Park – 4317 County Rd 218, Middleburg
- Eagle Harbor Soccer Complex – 4287 Lakeshore Dr, Fleming Island
- City of Green Cove Springs – Old Fire Station – 25 Roderico Avenue, Green Cove Springs
- Town of Keystone Heights – Pick up at City Hall (555 S Lawrence Blvd.) Fill bags at Keystone Heights Cemetery (7304 SR 100)
- Town of Orange Park – Orange Park Athletic Association – 1086 Fromhart St, Orange Park
Residents need to show an ID with a county address.
Government Closures: County government offices will close at noon on Wednesday, September 28, and will remain closed Thursday and Friday, pending storm impacts. Closures will include the County Administration Building and Public Works Offices, public libraries, Clay County Animal Services, the Property Appraiser, Tax Collector, Supervisor of Elections, and Sheriff’s Office Non-Emergency Administration Offices. The Clerk of Court and Comptroller’s Office, Clay County Courthouse all branches will be closed all day Wednesday through Friday.
School Closures: All Clay County District Schools will be closed Wednesday through Friday.
Waste Management: Environmental Services is working with Waste Management to monitor the storm, and we’ll post any changes to the trash pickup on our website. There’s also a live link on our site with the latest updates from WM.
Bridge Closures: State law enforcement (FHP) will close the Shands and Buckman bridges when sustained winds reach 45 MPH.