The TAPS Military Monument is located at the Historic Triangle next to the 1890 Historic Courthouse and came about due to the hard work and caring efforts of the TAPS Planning Committee. This group was and is composed of a cross-section of community volunteers and military veterans led by Committee Chairman Gary Newman. The Clay County chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America conducts an annual memorial event at the site in partnership with county government officials and many community volunteers.
Improvements to the monument and surrounding area are the result of donations that come through the TAPS Committee’s Perpetual Maintenance Fund. This includes the addition of marble benches for visitors’ use, new sidewalks and even braille markers for those without sight.
TAPS Committee members and VVA representatives are involved whenever tour groups visit the Historic Triangle, explaining the history of the military in our community and honoring the military personnel whose names are on the monument. The names are those of Clay County citizens who made the ultimate sacrifice, giving their lives in the line of duty while serving in our nation’s armed forces.